Wednesday, January 15, 2014

My Experience with Shipping

When handling a small business, we, entrepreneurs would do anything to gain profit and audience. That is the truth (deny it if you want) haha. But it is true, it is, in fact the most we could do to establish our name. and indeed, I experienced it as well. When I was still finishing my masters in Baguio City, I would ship orders (not like a whole bunch) to different places in the country. Manila, Nueva Ecija, Ilocos Sur, etc. This experience is such a rush! It feels like your name is spreading and motivates you even more! Well it felt like that for me. :) Well, I never have had a main source of shipping. I would do whatever was most convenient. Sometime through buses, sometimes through LBC.



Unfortunately there is a downfall to this high. once I sent an order, I would often feel like I spent more than I gained! Especially in the Philippines, shipping is never cheap.

Now that I have ventured to a new place for a better career, I have left my main population of customers in Baguio City that sustains my small business. That means that my problems with  shipment doubled (facepalm). It is still difficult at times, especially for rushed orders that must be sent individually. However here are some things that I did to lessen the throbbing vain is my head:

  1. Ask your customers. Ask them when do they need it done and if it is rushed ask them if they are willing to pay for the shipment fee. If not, find a way to meet halfway, anyways it is always your call on what orders you will accept. Also, ask them how they prefer to claim their order. Surprisingly, there are customers who know cheaper ways of transferring or are willing to go the extra mile to claim their orders.
  2. Name your price. You must always remember to keep yourself in mind. If you feel like your products are poorly priced, do not be afraid to bump it up a little. Make sure that your time, materials, and other circumstances are covered. In my case, I increased the prices of my products since I am far away from the source of my materials, my time is very precious now since I am working, and shipping is very hard.
  3. Find someone who can help you and set cut off dates. In this case you hold all orders for a one time shipment. This is the best way to make most of your profit. In my case I send 2-3 orders at one time to my sister's boyfriend in Baguio or one of my friends and they deliver my orders for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment